Five articles pertaining to restaurants, food, or booze to get you through the weekend:
1. Here’s an article from Wired, investigating whether a new barley genome will lead to a better beer.
2. A Bloomberg essay makes the argument that food has replaced music’s place in American culture.
3. If you hadn’t heard already, it appears that Lucky Peach, the plucky, intrepid food magazine co-founded by Momofuku emperor David Chang, has folded. The May issue will be the last.
4. Bad news for oenophiles. Many of France’s finest wine producing areas have been struck by frost damage. The frost has hit Bordeaux, Burgundy, and Champagne. It’s too early to see how many grapes are lost, but losses are expected to be significant. One owner estimated that his St.-Emilion vineyard will lose 90 percent of its 2017 harvest.
5. Elle wades into the unsettled debate over whether eating fat is good or bad.